Sunday, October 23, 2005

we talked about this during Orientation...

but: would you be willing to open up the blog to people who started teaching this semester at two other universities, Florida Atlantic and Kent State? Those graduate students have also been blogging about the new classes they are teaching), discussing similar issues and concerns about their particular students and the classes they are taking.

This would be a way to hear how different (and similar) teaching and course structures are at other schools. You would be able to hook up with others, to share with and learn from them. You'll know other people when you go to conferences (always a good thing) and have people from other schools with whom you can put together conference proposals (also always a very good thing; conference panel proposals that where all the panelists come from one school tend not to be as well regarded as panels with people from a mix of schools).

This is a way to talk about how teacher communication helps with teaching. (Which could be the subject of a conference panel proposal, as could the use of blogging in starting to teach a new course.)

Opening up the blog this way should require no new additional writing, but some new reading, and perhaps some responding to others.

I think this would be a good thing all around -- but the decision has to be yours.

Please respond to the blog with what you think.

Many thanks....

2 comments:

natecarp said...

Entering the blogosphere . . .
I agree with you, Anne, that it would certainly be a fruitful endeavor to branch out and get to communicate with a larger source of teachers; but, I think that there are a few people who might agree with me that we're at a point in the semester that adding any more "outside" influences on our lives would be a bit much to deal with. It's not the work I'm worried about--it's just the "one more thing to think about" factor.
My take on things--I'd be willing to have a go with it beginning next semester when I have a fresh mind and a little bit more space for reflection on my first major teaching escapades.
Thanks for this opportunity, even if we aren't taking advantage of it (yet . . .)

ideaswelcome said...

I agree with Nate
Although I think it's a great idea and I surely welcome all assistance with learning to teach, I'm so overwhelmed right now, I don't know that I can handle any additional zone extensions. I see the benefits, but, right now, I'm operating out of any and all comfort zones already. I need time to make sense of some of this before stretching any thinner. However, if others are ready now to extend the blog community, I'll adjust well enough.