Saturday, October 7, 2006

Saturday morning

The slow down-drifting leaf movements outside this morning are my models. This semester, my to-do list is as absurdly long as my email inbox, and I am trying -- not hugely successfully -- to cultivate a slow acceptance that it will ever be thus: more requests and demands and projects than I can ever ever ever satisfy. Why not take this as a sign of the vibrance of this life?

My last five conversations with academic friends and colleagues -- and even one academic person on the other end of the phone with whom I have never spoken before -- have all been about this, about the apologies we continually make for not being in complete utter and total control.

And, well, f*** that.

If I ever think I am in total control, that's when I will scare myself and ought rightfully to be taken out behind the barn.