Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I'm dreaming of

I finished grading conferences this afternoon with the shiny group of people from the Intro to Multimedia class, and took care of the anthill of little things-that-must-be-attended-to at school, and came home and sent off another set of packages for Christmas and now I am on to one of the better pleasures of it, putting together a CD of music I like for one of my very cool nieces, who is 17 and can write the socks off a cat or a tall human. Here's what she's getting, so far:

    Not California -- Hem
    These are the Days -- 10,000 Maniacs
    Highway One -- The Waifs
    Things That You Know -- The Wailin' Jennys
    Into the Open -- Heartless Bastards
    Motorcycle -- Ana Egge
    Milkman's Daughter -- Anne McCue
    You Dance -- Eastmountainsouth
    Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl -- Broken Social Scene
    One Evening -- Feist
    Hold On, Hold On -- Neko Case
    In My Life -- Beatles
    Some Good Thing -- The Wailin' Jennys
    Fisherman's Daughter -- The Waifs
    Open Your Eyes, You Can Fly -- Lizz Wright

You can probably see the delicate dance here of choosing what won't worry my sister but also won't have the obviousness of the too-encouraging aunt while still being of interest to the cool niece. But I could have used all of this when I was 17 (which was when I memorized In My Life, among other things less parentally easy) as I was leaving home and which seems an okay thing to pass along.

But am I missing anything?

No comments: