Tuesday, January 17, 2006

how research goes some days

X Ten Top Trivia Tips about Composition!

  1. Louisa May Alcott, author of 'Little Composition', hated composition and only wrote the book at her publisher's request!
  2. To check whether composition is safe to eat, drop it in a bowl of water; rotten composition will sink, and fresh composition will float!
  3. If composition was life size, it would stand 7 ft 2 inches tall and have a neck twice the size of a human.
  4. Without composition, we would have to pollinate apple trees by hand.
  5. Four-fifths of the surface of composition is covered in water!
  6. Composition was banned from Finland because of not wearing pants.
  7. 99 percent of the pumpkins sold in the US end up as composition.
  8. Composition is often used in place of milk in food photography, because milk goes soggy more quickly than composition.
  9. It took composition 22 years to build the Taj Mahal!
  10. If you keep a goldfish in a dark room, it will eventually turn into composition.
I am interested in - do tell me aboutherhimitthem




from The Mechanical Contrivium, via Boynton.

1 comment:

cmoslund said...

Idealism
I've encountered a number of educational/learning systems and I still don't think I know what the ideal one looks like.
No grades didn't work for me--I encountered it too late and was already habituated to the need to see how my work was ranked by a teacher. Plus, I found it just hid standards. I was still held to standards but because they weren't out in the open and because the Profs. in that system could still require me to re-write until I'd met this invisible standard I couldn't see what I was gaining by not being given a grade.
I've also encountered the philosophical tradition of studying at the feet of someone who is uber-knowledgeable about a subject and being trained to know what they know. Ohmygod that was stressful, as every week I was expected to become an expert in a new area.
Could go on--but perhaps more telling is how what I've encountered as a student has shaped me as a teacher. I have with more than one teaching friend had conversations where we say, "The academic abuse ends here [with us]."
No giving assignments or having expectations where the only pedagogical justification is, "I had to do this, so you have to do this."
Always ask, "What do I expect students to take from this?
How does what they take from this further future learning?
Is feed-back showing me that they haven't taken what I expected from this (and how much of that is a breakdown in communication that began with me?)"
What am I doing today that keeps the speaking space open to the voices that are harder to hear?
While the activities vary, the underlying pedagogy is kinda like a Star Trek directive, "Do the least harm," with the implication that at the same time one is trying to do some (educational) good.