Friday, February 23, 2007

“It's thoroughly depressing to see how not-far we've come in the last 30 years.”

Washington Monthly had a little discussion Thursday about Wimbledon's announcement that women would now play for the same amount of prize money as men. The comments read as though it is 1960: "This is not about men and women, this is just about economics!" "But men are objectively better athletes!" "Men play 3 out of 5; the women don't." "It's the men that the audiences come to watch (except for the short skirts on the women)."

The title comment above was one of the few voices responding to the night-at-the-bar chest-thumping that characterized the conversation.

3 comments:

ljose said...

....and reading the on line conversation really depressed me! I wish that the Williams sisters would accept to play a 'little match' against the ones who say "Men play 3 out of 5", or "Men are better athletes"....wouldn't this be fun? What would it tell us about their gender?! Plus, I thought (naively) that this argument was settled since Billie Jean King "beat" (beat being euphemism) Bobby Riggs in 1973.... Some things just never change.

annefranceswysocki said...

yeah...!
I would love to see the Williams sisters accept such a match! Imagining that made me much happier.

toshfraggle said...

I've been of the general opinion that we're going backward... if anything.
I went and read the forum at http://americanwomensuck.com after seeing a guy slam a door in a girl's face for not smiling at him (had to read the forums because this behavior wasn't described on the main page).
I just plain flat out don't understand how people can hate *that* much... ever.
~me