Tuesday, February 6, 2007

something like this: teaching digital production in a writing/theory program

I will be giving a presentation on production and the visual at Florida State in April (a chance to see Kathi Yancey and Kris Fleckenstein -- I am looking forward to this, hugely); David Blakesley and I will be there together, playing off each other. David may make a machinima, and I...

Well, I...

I am thinking about the possibilities. I have been needing for a while to write on production. Our latest job search, for someone to teach "critical approaches to media production," put me onto a committee with people who use Word for their scholarly or fun production, and so it became clear early on that definitional differences were the undercurrent. Our attractions to various candidates were very much tied to our differing notions of what production is and how it ought to play out in a program that has some theoretic bent, and we recognized this -- but we had no time for discussion, because it would have required the equivalent of several conference presentation panel ramblings and dinners afterwards.

By looking through a good deep set of applications, applications from people bringing all sorts of backgrounds and worldly engagements into their own work, people whom in the best of all possible worlds we would have hired as a collective, I saw my own teaching differently, and saw where some of my frustrations are. And I realized that, perhaps, we (an amorphous "we") still aren't too much past a discussion from Computers & Writing Gainesville (1998?), about "teaching software versus teaching writing" -- and at that time, even, the discussion was self-aware about being at least 10 years old. (For a crisper update and discussion of this than mine, see Kathie Gossett's take.)

No more do I want to teach classes that are titled along the lines of "Introduction to Multimedia Development" (a title that felt detergent-new and -fresh 10 years ago but now...) or "Introduction to Web Development." Perhaps it is just our school, but people come into such classes with the expectation that the class will be about learning software and nothing else. This past semester I did teach "Introduction to Multimedia Development," in which people did research in local historical archives and then built interactive pieces for helping others learn about local history (and boy did they build some great stuff). On the first day of that class, when I asked about people's expectations about what would happen, the common response was, "We're going to learn Flash!" I said that, yes, they'd be learning something about Flash, just as, back in first and second grades we were all taught how to hold pencils and paper and how to sit so that we could write -- but those were only the first steps toward using the technology to engage with others, toward considering how pencil and paper embed us into certain cultural structures of thinking and interacting, etc. etc. You know how this goes.

Twice during the semester, when we did class evaluations, I asked people in class what most stood out to them in what they had learned, what they thought they could apply most in the future, what helped them understand the ethical and moral dimensions of digital communication. "Flash!"

I clearly underestimate the cultural capital of knowing this software.

And perhaps I should also be pining for *a series of classes* -- working off the analogy of learning software as being like learning pencil and paper -- recognizing that all of what *I* (the selfish teacherly I) want to happen in class cannot possibly happen in one semester and must happen across a layering of classes.

Nonetheless, my sense of responsibility pushes me now toward thinking that the classes I should be teaching should be called, simply, "Public Writing" or "Digital Citizenship" or "Engaging with Digital Communities." Just as in "regular" writing classes, production is assumed. The readings and assignments center on how we engage with and act within different publics and privates, and production is -- as in a "regular" writing class -- a form either of reflection and action (or, as always, both). The "tools" are folded into the learning: you have to learn something about a game engine to build an environment that fosters first-person shibbolething; you have to learn something about Flash to build an argumentative essay about how different technologies enable differing forms of argument; you have to play with Photoshop to remix those characters from SL. Reflexivity about the technology has to be there, but so does placing the technology more into its cultural articulations from the beginning, rather than pulling it out as though it were a neutral little hammer.

The trade-off is that people then only learn the software so much, just enough to make a little argument or two. And this is where I could come back to wondering about the need for series of classes, and for a discussion about the professionalization of technologies: we have, in the past, spent many years of education on the commonly shared technologies of a certain kind of writing, the writing deeply tied to pen and paper -- and now we live in a time of technologies that separate out and that each have their own steep learning curve. All these latter technologies -- and I am thinking here within the bounds of software: Flash, Photoshop, FinalCut, Maya -- also have long learning curves if one is to be fluent. They also have long learning curves for parallel/congruent abilities one has to develop: to become a graphic designer or 3D artist, one has to devote some considerable attention to visual conventions, and so on with film, video, gaming, etc.

With that professionalization -- with that emphasis on professionalization and the taste that develops alongside becoming a professional with a technology -- comes a decrease in wider public participation. If the Photoshop picture you make shows you not to be aware that fuzzy edges are outrĂ©, then others will look with disdain (viz the Worth contests). If your Flash piece has code in all the different layers instead of only in the opening screen, well… you show yourself not to know what you are doing. If you are not willing, in other words, to spend the time to learn the software to a level of professional polish, then you can't participate. Feh.

So: teaching software only as a part of the whole process of developing arguments and pieces of cultural questioning would help me teach also about how taste develops, how people get to be recognized as able digital citizens -- or not. Teaching more of a "figure out enough to do what you want and to take control" helps develop confidence in being a non-professional in a world where professionalization is another gate. Teaching more of a "figure out enough to do what you want and to take control" can help shift tastes toward a more generous approach toward texts that look non-professional for all sorts of good reasons, texts that we might otherwise dismiss precisely because they don't look like what we're accustomed to.

Okay.

Hmmm.

I think there is something here toward a presentation on production. But I also want to make something, too, in which to embed this discussion. And it sounds as though it's going to have to be something un-pretty, ungainly, and unprofessional in all the right ways.

But people gotte be making stuff, because that's a non-trivial entry to public participation these days.

6 comments:

toshfraggle said...

Hrm...
From a marketable post graduation perspective, you want to have "introduction to multimedia development" because the computer that is judging student transcripts know that it means "this student knows the basics of Flash." Your students know this. Job hunting in a world where computers do the hiring makes that a certain priority.
From the perspective of not just wanting to teach the tool though that does become problematic. I think the idea of having a series of classes is good, especially in terms of teaching argument through media and developing complex portfolios. That'd be pretty cool.
I find myself as an instructor pulled two ways. On one hand, I landed a pretty good adjunct position because I know tools. I have transcripted and portfolio-ed proof that I can use these tools, and that I can teach these tools. So I make money as a computer science adjunct, and it's a lot (LOT) more than I could make adjuncting English. I think MTU for that to be the bottom of my dark little soul. In those classes, I teach tools (and WAC... but hrm... almost beyond the point here...)
Then I turn around and teach composition and was pretty much told to do development in blogs and wikis alone, and I felt like those kind of argument building programs weren't really going to add that much to the colloboration that I was already doing in class. Not to mention the fact that we have a "new media initiative" here, not a "blog initiative."
Anyway.
I'm asking students to develop their ideas first (via design plan, using your book btw). I want to know what they want to make, what they want to say. Then I plan to support them through the process. I hope this works, not all my students are all that technology savvy. But we have flash, and movie maker, and I'm supposedly a computer science prof, so we'll muddle through. I think teaching ways of arguing with these possibilities (software) and THEN building good projects might be a way out from very very basic projects which I was prone to as an undergrad when I started with the software then moved out toward the idea....

annefranceswysocki said...

thank you, Jill -- this is helpful
"I think teaching ways of arguing with these possibilities (software) and THEN building good projects might be a way out from very very basic projects" -- that is precisely what I am working toward. A resume can show "The software that I know" just as well as a class title on a transcript can... but more and more I see how much our culture needs people who can think with multimodal software just as much as they can think with a word processor (or blog).
We have separated theory from praxis in our teaching/corporate practices (the last month of posts on the Institute for Distributed Creativity (distributedcreativity.org) listserv is all over this, all kinds of people from all kinds of new media teaching positions writing in -- I think you'd like it if you're not already there) -- and I think it is not good.
We need to develop something that is equivalent to writing-to-learn with new media software, at the same time we need to acknowledge more (along the lines of David Buckingham, for example) that participation in media is necessary for participation in culture and politics -- and it's not going to happen if people only get one class in how to use Flash. It's also not going to happen if we teach production classes in "How to make animations in Flash" or "How to put someone else's head on another body with Photoshop." Well, I am willing to teach those things, but only if they are also part of "What kinds of arguments are possible with Flash" or "What relations can you build with others through your Photoshop choices" or "How Flickr tagging embeds you in cultural structures you may not really want to be embedded in while at the same time you learn how to make photographs that lots of other people will want to comment on in Flickr."
Can you tell it's Friday night and I am fried?
BTW: it's Winter Carnival weekend.

toshfraggle said...

Re: thank you, Jill -- this is helpful
Gah--here it's "write that lit review you've been putting off while waiting for books to be delivered" weekend which is celebratable anytime! So fried? No kidding.
I'm trying to imagine what "create to learn" in maya might look like.... *dies laughing.* Alright back to business...
If I'm going to teach a "writing to learn" approach to Flash (or director, still prefer director over here) then I have to be pretty gosh darned capable in Flash or Director or Photoshop or Maya myself. Me? I'm fine with that. My cohorts? Yeah, not so fine with that. Student frustration on one hand can be good (sure) but too much frustration, as in hours spent writing code that can be replaced by one line of action-scripting, isn't going to help that student learn about Flash or argumentation. Without really great support students would be lost in that context. I don't even think they need to be supported all the time (I taught myself autoCAD to accept a job, being able to do that was a necessary skill) but the potential for adequate support needs to be present. And if the teacher doesn't know the skill well enough to do that--how does that happen?
Can you tell I'm not particularly fond of the "I don't really know how to do this, but we're all going to learn together?" model of teaching technology? :)
And as for your last big paragraph there, I'm thinking that would be a wonderful textbook, or course pack... or website... A) here's how to do the technology, right next to B) here's all the theory and cultural stuff attached to the technology so C) create about it.

annefranceswysocki said...

but....
how is this different from what we do with "writing"? People come to college classes with many years of having learned what letters and words and paragraphs are -- and we know that people can write-to-learn with just that much under them.
"3D-ing to learn with Maya" is a cool proposition -- and makes me realize that I do the equivalent of free-writing with 3D software often enough (and without ever feeling that I would advertise myself as a professional). I can make the software do what I want it to do, usually and perhaps not as efficiently as an expert might, but -- darn it -- I am willing to accept that there are multiple ways to figure things out, and that sometimes the software will lead because of its structures.
Part of the problem, in all of this, for me, is the sense that someone needs to be an expert -- but public civic participation has got to allow for amateurs, amateurs who are confident enough to participate, confident that others will respond generously.
So, no, I don't think you have to be "pretty darn competent" in the software you teach. Comfortable, maybe -- but my goal is no longer to turn out experts. I want people to play with the software, to see what they can build with it, to think with it. Yeah, they've got to learn something, they've got to have some sense of how the software works -- but it doesn't take much to build something interesting, as long as there is something you want to get across to others.
Ack. I can't sustain. I hope your lit review takes off.

toshfraggle said...

Re: but....
I suppose my problem with "i've never really used this but I'm going to teach with it anyway" is having been in those classrooms from the student perspective. It works--on one level--but on another it adds to student anxiety. And just as I'd like to reduce anxiety about writing, I'd also like to reduce anxiety that certain programs are "ooooh scary to use" and have that long learning curve you mentioned earlier. They've heard these programs are hard... they've heard and been told that writing is hard and that they aren't particularly good at it... so the teacher becomes the facillitator of "no really, you can do this, and you're going to make some really cool stuff this term."
And you do that pretty gosh darned wonderfully. Other people... er... don't. (it's bad when you're noting somebody and you realize they can probably figure out exactly what classes you're referring to--fun stuff!) But I think teaching technology at MTU was still a balancing act between teaching tech comm for the workplace and teaching tech comm as a more diverse practice. And I don't think you have to pick one per se, but the dichotomy doesn't make life easier.
*pokes at lit review* I'm running into stuff that I want to write in my dissertation. That's lovely really, but completely inappropriate for a 10 page max essay. Crap.
PS. My buddy Jessica loves the idea of using new media in civic participation. I'm pretty sure that has something to do with her dissertation topic. I should really get her reading over here sometime soon....

annefranceswysocki said...

Re: but....
[tell Jessica to look into David Buckingham's stuff -- I bet she'd really like his arguments.]
and I think you're right that is has to be a mix: I'd like people to leave classes with a sense of how to use software well at work, so that they have some agency, some sense of how to move confidently, how to move so that you don't get stuck making 3D buttons your whole life -- you know what I mean?
It's movie time in this household. It's time to admit that the brain needs distraction and the body needs a bed -- or v/v.
It's lovely to hear you are finding stuff to include in a diss. A big smile here.