Friday, September 23, 2005

Luddites can cheerfully change. They learn well through repetition.

I got Dennis (and, well, me) a cell phone plan and cheap but cute (and free) little phones so we could talk more easily during the 10 days he is away and then while I have a fair spot of travel after that.

While on his way to Chapel Hill, he had a five hour layover in the Minneapolis airport. I am happy to report that he 1) has figured out how to do voice messaging on his cell phone, 2) has figured out how to make his phone vibrate instead of ring, 3) felt at home on the plane by speaking on his phone along with everyone else describing the row by which he was waiting for the person ahead to put the suitcase into the overhead rack, and 4) gotten to Eva and Barbara's house in the Carol Woods retirement community. I know this because he called me after (or during) each event.

We have now spoken 6 times today on the little phones, and will probably speak several more. Our conversations are generally but not always substantive.

Eva is doing well. She still has a tube for breathing, and so cannot talk, but is responsive and recognizing people.

The hairy woodpecker now on the feeder (of whom the chickadees are very respectful) does not recognize me. He does not recognize me either as Anne or as a threat that should cause him to leave the dried fruit and nuts in the feeder.

No comments: