Saturday, August 13, 2005

because it is Saturday

Because it is Saturday, the woman next door is buzz-cutting her lawn, as later in the week she will pluck at it and prune it and worry over it and sulk. I am still waking staring out the kitchen window at the overnight spiderwebs in the lawn, how they hold dew and shine therefore, and the movements of little brown birds between the trees catch my seeing so I shift to them in front of the tree leaves moving in their straight darting lines across the yard and then they are not there. Their movements are faster than my eyes.

If I were to make an animation of this, I could not make what I see. I could not show the birds flying in their lines and then just disappearing in front of the tree. The settle so fast into and among the leaves -- where they are then invisible -- that it looks as though they have been erased from where they were. Imagine you were watching someone walking down a busy city street and of course without any thinking you are attaching to him his predictable trajectory based on how he moves and you have all these unaware expectations of where he will be as the seconds build and then even while he is swinging his arms and legs he vanishes so fast you can't see the vanishing, a cut not a dissolve. This was how it was with the birds.

But you couldn't animate them this way. Even though this is how I see them, really, vanishing into the trees, this would (like the man walking down the street to vanish) violate my sense of how the world is supposed to work for me, the human. My eyes are supposed to be fast enough to see it all. There are not supposed to be things I cannot see. So in an animation those birds would have to visibly stretch out their little talons as they approached their landing spot, and they would settle onto their branches in open spaces where I could see them doing what I know birds are supposed to do.

I would therefore not be distracted from whatever the storyline is by having in front of my face evidence that possibly things happen in dimensions for which my physiology is not the right size.

No comments: