Saturday, August 20, 2005

is there a better time...

than a Saturday morning when it feels safe to procrastinate? AND it's sunny and warm and was quiet?

I drove in from the lake this morning to join the ever wonderful, smart, and beautiful Kristin C. for breakfast at Marie's Vickie's. Given that I kept falling asleep during a round of Tetris last night ("Tetris" itself ought to be a clue about how I was doing last night) and then slept for almost 10 hours (dreaming about being with my nieces along a dream-shaped California coast watching men carrying motorcycles across tide pools), I drove in with the "guaranteed to get the blood unsludged" CD on car-rattlingly loud, windows open, scaring off the deer as I wound my way in on the dirt roads singing screaming along with the music.

A little warm up with "What's My Age Again?" and then "Light Enough to Travel", "Hey Ya!", "Little Red Corvette" (which makes me very sad I never got to take part in a karaoke night with Dave at the Green Light), "Gloria", "Teenage Riot", "Videogame Heart", "Little Bird," "Fell in Love with a Boy", "Smells like Funk", "When I Win the Lottery."

In Lake Linden ("Gloria") someone had changed the lettering on the sign outside the once-was-a-Catholic-school building. Last night, the sign said something about a large rummage sale with 6 families. This morning, it said "Large Ass Family Rummage."

Lake Linden was fuller this morning than it ever is except during the Fourth of July parade. There's an estate sale AND the large ass rummage sale. The parking lot of Dairyland was packed.

As I got closer to Mason and the sunken slanting dredge, there were two guys out fishing, sitting quietly in their little boat and the still lifting mist. This is when I was providing the All Girl Summer Fun Band to the deer and now evidently the fish.

The trees are in their late summer yellow-tinge, and I was sort of noticing it while singing shouting along, and sort of noticing that there was a slight breeze sliding through the leaves.

I did not turn off or down the music in order better to hear or see those various languages of nature. I would have had to stop and get out of the car and walk back in a ways and dig myself down into leaf mould for several hours to even begin to hear something other than my heart experiencing a needed sonic defibrillation.

No comments: